Carl Carl is offline

Default US Customs Decals

Roger,

A few more "lessons learned" going to Canada:

Canada really cares about how much booze you bring in. Here's from
their web site:

You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcohol
free of duty and taxes:

1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine;
1.14 litres (40 ounces) of liquor;
a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of wine and liquor; or
24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounces) cans or bottles (maximum of 8.5
litres) of beer or ale.

The mistake I made was assuming each line above ended with an "AND"
rather than the "OR". Luckily someone set me straight before I
arrived. There are stories of Canadian customs making examples of
cruising folks. In my case, I decided to give a case of beer and a
bottle of single malt Scotch to a most surprised lobsterman off
Cutler.

Canada offers a really handy 800 number to call on your cell phone
when you enter. What they don't like (don't ask me how I know) is for
someone to say that they anchored for the night in Canada - staying
aboard - and called the 800 number first thing in the morning. I guess
I was supposed to call the moment my bow crosses into their
territorial waters.

Carl