Joe Joe is offline

Default Say Larry..

On Aug 8, 7:54 am, "Roger Long" wrote:
"Larry" wrote

Mine is a strobe! It makes your eyes go buggy it's so bright if you dare
look at it, destroying your night vision, of course.

And that's going to make the panicked and difficult operation of getting a
possibly semi-consious and helpless person back aboard a lot easier isn't
it? Ever noticed how hard it is to think straight around emergency vehicle
lights at night if you aren't used to it?

Another reason I don't want a mega bright strobe on the MOB pole.

--
Roger Long

IIRC USCG standards require a strobe to be seen 3 miles.
If you go to e-bay you can buy a 5 pack for 40 dollars.

LED's just do not have the power to be of much use IMO.

You need a Xenon strobe. They are cheap and very effective. So cheap
everyone aboard should have one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STROBE-RESCUE-LI...QQcmdZViewItem

You need a strobe on your life ring IMO to be tossed at the same time
as the MOB pole. The only ptatical LED is an IR LED strobe. They are
very effective for IR night vision used by the USCG.

I guess it would not be a bad ideal to strap a light to the MOB as
long as it will not effect bouyancy and drift rate, as MOB poles are
designed to drift at the rate a human will drift. Some expensive MOB
poles have strobes buildt into them.

I've thought about taping one of these to a MOB pole:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofh37qcFuk4

It would be very effective with any spray as a beacon.

Going overboard at night in bad seas is a very bad thing.

Joe