posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes Jack Erbes is offline

Default What GPS Unit?

Larry wrote:
"Richard" wrote in news:13bednp2lmp32f0
@corp.supernews.com:

What specific unit makes the most sense?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=8055
I just put the Garmin GPSMAP 440 on a friend's new Jenneau 40. It has
the whole country's coastal maps INCLUDED with it and you can buy the new
map plugs for it if you need more. Even our new docks at the local
marina are in it. The lowest range is like 30 feet!

You won't need any antenna. The antenna is built right inside its 12-
channel receiver all in the unit. I powered it up in the cabin after
unboxing it and it got a fix in less than 30 seconds from a cold start!

It's within $40 of your price point, and that includes all the charts for
it you'll probably ever need....even Hawaii and Alaska you won't.

snip

I'm not disagreeing with Larry's recommendation, that looks like a good
unit.

It or one of the other newer unit like it was discussed here or on the
Garmin newsgroup recently. Some unanswered questions came up as to what
the options are for importing waypoints and routes. And for doing route
planning somewhere else and importing the data via the SD card.

The manual says or implies that routes, waypoints, and tracks can be
saved to and imported from the SD card but it makes no mention of what
the format for doing that is.

The 440 does not come with any charting for use on a PC (like Garmin's
MapSource BlueChart for example).

Many boaters like to review their tracks and plan routes away from the
boat, whether or not the 440 lends itself to that it not clear.

If that is something you want to do a call to Garmin tech support might
sort out some of the details.

Some of the newer Garmin automotive models will read some data from
*.gpx files stored on the SD card. Maybe that is the case here too.

Garmin seems to be focused on not burdening the minds of buyers with too
much technical detail about newer models. Which leaves some of the
folks that know what they want a little in the dark.

If anyone wants a small route in *.gpx file for testing, email me. I
can send you one. Or if you want to save a route or other data from a
440 and send it to me, I'll see if I can read it with MapSource.

I use the DVD based MapSource BlueChart charting on my GPSmap 76Cx
handheld and consider it excellent. Arguably as good as or better than
anything else available. It is a licensed version of the Navionics
vector charts. I'm guessing that is the charting you get preloaded when
you buy the 440.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)