posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop Maxprop is offline

Default Etchells Repair Work Pictures

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 6, 4:10 pm, "Maxprop" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message
You know how core gets wet, people tighten things up
crush the core more and it just keeps spreading. I decided
to cut up a 24" and 28" piece of 3/8" fiberglass panel to
replace the balsa core under all deck fittings. The idea
being, this will prevent any ingress of water into my balsa
core. I will not use any bedding for any deck hardware,
and of course you should never bed the bottom, as you
want the water to find it's way though.

Isn't this the way things should be done in the first place, Bart? Why
do
manufacturers--Catalina and Huneter, for examples, put wood--generally
ply--under hardware attach points? Why not solid fiberglass, or even
rigid,
closed-cell foam? Do any manufacturers do it that way?

Max

You are right Max. I read an article about people
touring the Valiant plant which was under new
ownership. They found that these people were doing
it the wrong way. Of course they swore they'd make
changes--but when it takes more time, and cost more
and the new buyer can't see it, they have little motivation
to do the job right in the first place.

Unfortunate. Valiant builds an otherwise fine yacht.

Max