posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com) Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com) is offline

Default Better for a Straits tour: Seda Glider or Valley Pintail? : )

Thanks for your thoughts!

On Aug 5, 3:09 pm, Michael Daly wrote:
[ ]
If you're solo, and lightly loaded, the Pintail has no real
disadvantages IMHO.

Yeah, but... I also have a bit of a "safety in speed" view. Spending a
good bit less time on my passage-hops is something that appeals to
me.

It's kinda like how I like my race bicycle for riding the suburban
highways around here as compared to my grocery bike. (Both my wife and
I tend to use our race bikes even for errands around here---the speed
difference between us and the cars isn't as great.)

To me, the faster Glider has an appropriate "getting somewhere" feel
to it. But...

[ ]
If you're solo and you're worried at all about the handling in rough or
big conditions, then the Seda is a disadvantage, even if it's just what
it does to your level of confidence.

There's that!

I'd say use the Pintail if comfort counts for more than speed. I'd
recommend getting the Seda out on day trips in bigger conditions (with
some load in it to simulate touring) to get a better feel for it before
making a commitment to tripping with it. You might also want to see how
the Seda handles with a significant load in it. That can have a
remarkable effect on handling - more stable but harder to turn. That

I'll do this today!

I've always tended to use racing equipment for my touring... But, boy,
I like that "duck on water" feel of the Pintail! (No coincidence
there!) But for character-style and for making short work of
distance...darn that Glider is sweet! Decisions... I'll test more
today...

--JP