posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default What GPS Unit?

"Richard" wrote in news:13bednp2lmp32f0
@corp.supernews.com:

What specific unit makes the most sense?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=8055
I just put the Garmin GPSMAP 440 on a friend's new Jenneau 40. It has
the whole country's coastal maps INCLUDED with it and you can buy the new
map plugs for it if you need more. Even our new docks at the local
marina are in it. The lowest range is like 30 feet!

You won't need any antenna. The antenna is built right inside its 12-
channel receiver all in the unit. I powered it up in the cabin after
unboxing it and it got a fix in less than 30 seconds from a cold start!

It's within $40 of your price point, and that includes all the charts for
it you'll probably ever need....even Hawaii and Alaska you won't.

It's fully WAAS GPS compliant and the boat even showed up on the correct
side of our fingerpier after I mounted it at the helm. Unless you want
to integrate it's NMEA/Garmin data ports to your other instruments, all
you do is hook the red wire with the fuse to +12V and black wire to - and
you're ready to sail.

The mount is great, too! Unlike previous models that only pointed in one
direction, the new mount SWIVELS with a good ratchet gadget to hold it in
whatever position you turn it to. This works great on his Jenneau
because you can turn it away from the helm to the side seats when the
autopilot is steering so you can keep an eye on the position and
waypoints while sitting elsewhere. Be sure you leave enough CABLE to let
it swing all the way around. It tilts easy too for best viewing.

We ordered another mount and power/data cable to install in Joe's hard-
bottom dingy. Unplug one plug and move it to the dink and you can have
GPS charts, even depth if you buy the model with a depth sounder in it,
when anchored out and exploring in the dingy. Not a bad idea in heavy
islands with many confusing paths to get lost in! The coax connector on
the unit is for an external GPS antenna, but you won't need it unless you
have a steel boat or hard top. The sounder connection is in the same
multipin cable as power and data in sounder models.

The screen is VERY bright if you turn it all the way up, making it easy
to read in the sun in color!

Larry
--
Stuff keeps gettin' better'n better.....(c;