posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default Etchells Repair Work Pictures

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 12:55:42 -0700, Bart
wrote:

Just about everywhere anything was through-bolted on
my Etchells, I found core rot or wet core. I decided to take
some time off from sailing to bring the boat up to Bristol
standards. I have plans to use the boat in the last week
in August and I want it perfect by then.

You know how core gets wet, people tighten things up
crush the core more and it just keeps spreading. I decided
to cut up a 24" and 28" piece of 3/8" fiberglass panel to
replace the balsa core under all deck fittings. The idea
being, this will prevent any ingress of water into my balsa
core. I will not use any bedding for any deck hardware,
and of course you should never bed the bottom, as you
want the water to find it's way though.

Pictures.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560166062GlPvzp

Neat video showing what wet core looks like and rotten core.

http://good-times.webshots.com/video...01903646kvMSDv

Question. What is the music playing in the background?
Who is the artist?

More pictures to follow later.

Bart

Been there, done that.

mine was a result of poor design in that some of the fasteners for
minor holding, (main hatch cowl, head vent, etc) were screwed into the
core, but not all the way through. Big mistake. let water into the
core, but no chance to get all the way through.

I did all the repairs with epoxy, rather than polyester material.
What will you do?

Frank