KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default August 3 - Sailing in Steerage

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
Other than the grounding, it seems to me that the only "boat stopper"
they've experienced so far is the steering failure -- and even that was
fixable at sea from Skip's report, with emergency steering solutions
available (unknown whether they had the knowledge to employ any of them,
however).

The Flying Pig is clearly a boat with more equipment than I would choose
to go to sea with. I prefer simple systems that are easily repaired in
the event of failure. Tiller steering. No refer. Low power demands. Very
limited through-hulls. Porta-potti with "bucket and chuck-it" option at
sea. But horses for courses, as they say. Some claim that women demand
high-comfort heads with lots of beauty-parlor options. Guess I'm not that
much of a girly-girl.

Nevertheless, underway repairs and maintenance are pretty much expected.
The higher-tech the systems, the more repairs to be expected. And they
*are* in "shake-down" mode at this time.

Karin

One additional comment:

Skip reported that TFP had experienced steering problems on a first attempt
to leave the dock. They returned to the dock, couldn't find or duplicate the
problem, so they left anyway. That, IMHO, was a mistake. If I experience a
critical system problem at the dock which I cannot troubleshoot on my own, I
don't leave until someone else with appropriate experience has located and
fixed the problem or shown me how to do it. I've missed out on some planned
sails because of this mindset, but it also means that I don't tend to have
many "adventures at sea." ;-)