posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Drive Saver?

So what do you all think about drive savers? Strikes me
I should just put the money into the new shaft...

Depends.

"Edgar" wrote:
I agree. The existing shaft probably has some wear around
the stern gland and outer bearing anyway and unless the
drivesaver leaves the shaft in _exactly_ the same position
(which is unlikely) the wear step will have moved a bit
and then the lip of the worn portions can cause leakage or
bearing problems.

Not necessarily a problem, if you know somebody who is competent with
a lathe.

..... Also, you have a long shaft which will
in itself introduce a litle more flexibility than a very
short one if you do hit something very hard and therefore
any shock loading on the transmission will be somewhat
reduced. A new shaft and new outer bearing will give you a
good setup to go with your new motor.

We have some friends with drivesavers, basically because previous
owners installed them. I don't see much benefit myself, it's only a
coupling with sacrificial link which, if it fails under heavy load,
will still trash the bearings & packing gland and not do the tranny
any favors.

A thrust bearing would be a better investment, that way the alignment
of the shaft is not as critical and any shock put on the drive system
will not be carried to the trnasmission & engine. They are expensive
and take up room and require some engineering, though.... which is why
they are far less common!

"Seahag" wrote:
Thanks, Edgar. Your reply points out some things we hadn't
even thought about and reinforces my inclination.
This sure isn't what I was planning on doing this year! But
the boat sure looked good out on the creek even under tow

Pictures! We want pictures!

How bad is the wear on the old shaft? If it is still true (not bent or
wobbly) and hasn't worn more than a couple thousandths, it can almost
certainly be slicked up and put back in. We stayed briefly at a marina
that had a racket in new shafts.... he had a warehouse full of old
shafts that he polished up & reinstalled in boats that hit rocks...

Fresh BReezes- Doug King