posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Two head sails

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
What's the best way to tack when yer flying two headsails without
someone on the fore deck feeding the forward forsail around the aft
forsail stay?

Ya follow me? Say a 100% on both forestays.

Joe

Slowly, with just enough to finish the tack. If you ease the lines as the
jibs are luffing, then you should be able to pull the forward of the two
sails through the space between the two forestays, especially with a 100%
jib (or smaller). The jib sheets are going to be an issue, so you'll need
more than one person doing it. As long as you don't have a lot of tension on
the jib, you shouldn't have significant abrasion on the sails.

If I could, I'd furl the jib in front, as Katy suggested, tack, then unfurl
it. I can't imagine having that much sail up in heavy air, so unless there's
something wrong with the furler, it shouldn't be an issue. Of course,
there's always the possibility of failure, but there's a lot less chance
with careful observation/maintenance.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com