Marc[_2_] Marc[_2_] is offline

Default Diesel electric

"Michael Porter" wrote in message
The 60' LWL motor yacht of our design launched last summer has a
conventional 200 HP 6-cyl diesel (it's a purely displacement boat and
doesn't need 200 HP except in emergencies ).

THANKS! We still have to calculate but expect to end up with 150 to 170 hp.
The yachts displacement should be around 22 to 24 tons metric.

If I were starting on it today I'd certainly take a hard look at the
Siemens ELFA boxes with

GREAT will do for sure!!

the idea of installing 2 smaller engines and using only one of them
most of the time. That way the engine(s) would operate at higher load
and be happier.

Right! Planning on looking into a solution with 2 diesel engines and 2
propellors too. Curieous about the drag (speed loss) due to a second
propellor. And of course it is a saling boat and it is only an auxilary
engine BUT after spending some time in the Med I have the experience that
if you have any type of schedule (even allowing ample spare time) you just
need to motor from time to time.

Cheers Marc