posted to alt.sailing.asa
Seahag Seahag is offline

Default Drive Saver?

"Edgar" wrote:

"Seahag" wrote:
Our 4107 croaked and I have a 4108 rebuilt long block
sitting in the saloon awaiting installation. We have a
Thames tranny and the consensus is to get a new
transmission. The mechanic mentioned putting in a drive
saver to extend the shaft to fit the new set-up rather
than buying a new shaft at this time. From photos it
looks like the shaft is around 10' long...heh We could
use a bottom job this year so hauling isn't a huge
problem but it would be kinda nice to have a working
engine now.

So what do you all think about drive savers? Strikes me
I should just put the money into the new shaft...

Seahag

I agree. The existing shaft probably has some wear around
the stern gland and outer bearing anyway and unless the
drivesaver leaves the shaft in _exactly_ the same position
(which is unlikely) the wear step will have moved a bit
and then the lip of the worn portions can cause leakage or
bearing problems. Also, you have a long shaft which will
in itself introduce a litle more flexibility than a very
short one if you do hit something very hard and therefore
any shock loading on the transmission will be somewhat
reduced. A new shaft and new outer bearing will give you a
good setup to go with your new motor.

Thanks, Edgar. Your reply points out some things we hadn't
even thought about and reinforces my inclination.
This sure isn't what I was planning on doing this year! But
the boat sure looked good out on the creek even under tow

Seahag