Michael Porter Michael Porter is offline

Default Diesel electric

The 60' LWL motor yacht of our design launched last summer has a
conventional 200 HP 6-cyl diesel (it's a purely displacement boat and
doesn't need 200 HP except in emergencies ). If I were starting on it
today I'd certainly take a hard look at the Siemens ELFA boxes with
the idea of installing 2 smaller engines and using only one of them
most of the time. That way the engine(s) would operate at higher load
and be happier.

Dunno why you'd want to do that in a sailboat, though.

Cheers,
Micael Porter

"Marc" wrote:

I am building a 60 foot aluminum sailyacht and considering using diesel
electric propulsion with 2 identical diesel enigins of 70 - 100 hp. The
builder is not very experienced in ths field so I am doing some fieldwork
myself .

Anyone with experience in diesel eletric solutions in this size for sailing
yachts?

Cheers.

Marc