posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes Jack Erbes is offline

Default Some e-maps questions

Kees Verruijt wrote:
snip
The entire idea of a vector chart is that it does NOT contain any data
that says how to depict markings such as navaids, unlike a raster chart.
For any navaid it just contains it's type, (geographical) position,
size, height etc. How this is represented is up to the software package
that you use to view the chart.

Thanks for explaining that, I had no idea that the the attributes and
properties of the symbols could be managed like that. But it certainly
makes sense. I'm using the trial version of Coastal Explorer (same
software as Maptech's Chart Navigator Pro) as that is the only software
I have that will use the NOAA ENC/S-57 charts.

The Coastal Explorer help says that the S-57 display in Coastal Explorer
has "complete support for S-57 ENCs drawn according to the S-52
specification". So I guess that is what defines I am seeing? Or is it
the S-52 spec that allows you to further further change the
presentation? Coastal Explorer does not offer any further changes to
what I am seeing.

snip
I can imagine that you might hate my setup, and would wanna switch to
whatever you are used to. A good software package lets you do that...

I doubt that I would not like it, I am very fond of consistency. :)

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)