Gould 0738

Default OT only Republicans dumb enough to believe BushCo

"Damn", yelled the dentist. "I've got to figure out how to expand my
attention span so it's at least as big as Kanter's 15 year old son, who
thinks of nothing but pussy and skateboards. Can't keep depending on Weekly
Reader for my news. Gould keeps trumping me with real, live right wing
sources I've never heard of. Gotta

It's not really NOYB's fault. If you hear the same lie repeated enough times,
it seems to take on the appearance of truth. NOYB admits that he listens to
Savage and some of the other propagandists, and they all sing the same song:
"The Democrats systematically dismantled the strong military that they
inherited from Bush the Elder after the Gulf War! Republicans are tough on
defense, the Democrats all want to cut the budget!"

That has to be one of the most commonly repeated lies of the right wing, and
most who repeat it are not aware of exactly how false it really is.

Many of the 1991-1992 cuts were recommended by then Secty of Defense, Dick
Cheney. Yes, the very same Dick Cheney that now verbally crucifies John Kerry
over defense cuts.

Don't know about you, but when I remember how Bush the Elder cut the armed
forces by several entire divisions, took about 1/3 of the ships out of the
Navy, said it was time for America to collect a "peace dividend" through
drastic reductions in defense spending. etc etc etc......it remains tough
trying to bite the tongue while the right wing blasts Bill Clinton (and now
John Kerry) for weakening the US military.

I would have to check before insisting that it is a fact, but I am reasonably
confident that defense spending, adjusted for inflation, went *up* under
Clinton, not down.