posted to rec.boats.building
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default How Easy Is It?

Jerry wrote:
I am contemplating building a stitch & glue boat but have never
built anything (boats that is) before. I'm curious as to how easy
or difficult it really is before I start investing in plans.

It's not all that difficult to build any type of wooden boat. One
needs basic skills, an understanding of what and why one is doing
something and the willingness/precision to do it accurately. It is
especially important to get the initial steps done correctly as all
else depends on them.
________________

Are there any plans that are truly easy for a novice?

The only stitch & glue boat I've built was an 8' pram a couple of
years ago. Easy, generally. The only difficulty was getting the side
& bottom pieces chock-a-block to the transoms for gluing. The
difficulty there was due to the fact that the panels needed to bend -
and in a compound manner - and the copper wire ties used to secure
them were not nearly strong enough to pull the pieces together. Some
improvisation and clamps solved the problem easily.

The reason I mentioned the above is to point out that curves are
harder to do than flat (especially compound curves. That doesn't mean
I'm suggesting that you avoid such a plan because (among other things)
curves add a lot of strength to a hull.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...