posted to rec.boats.electronics
Atlas Atlas is offline

Default Importing raster maps into Maptech....

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in message
I have some wonderful paper marine charts and could make a perfect
raster scan (TIFF) out of them. Then would need a calibrating utility
(a là OziExplorer) that can output to BSB format, once datum, mag.
dev, etc is entered.

Once you have solved the BSB calibration problem, how are you intending to
solve the many problems of scanning to a usable file type which does not
resemble a pig's ear? Of all the many hundreds of electronic charts I
possess, only about two are scanned from paper charts, partly because I
found that buying a scanner large enough to scan a complete chart at one
pass would cost me about the same as a new Ferrari!

Hehehe.. partially true he you can obtain rasters from scanning centers
for a few bucks without buying the machine....

Most of these BSB charts can be obtained in digital form anyway, by
resorting to a file-sharing program such as Emule, therefore saving the
time
and cost of scanning.

Yeah, but most of them are old!