posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Today's Sailing

* Capt. Rob wrote, On 7/24/2007 2:12 PM:
I didn't know CW had an editorial postion on cats. Normally they
just
have articles, like the one in this month's issue describing how much
fun it was.

You just said they didn't have an editorial position, then claimed
they did.

I guess this is another area where you're ignorant. The editorial
position of a magazine can be different from views expressed in
various articles and reviews. Of course, a mag like CW won't say much
bad about any boat!

Tell us when you stop just sailing

That may be one of the saddest comments made by anyone here. I know
you're old, but it's pretty sad when a fellow like you feels that
"just sailing" for the sake of sailing isn't fun. Sorry, I don't know
any one who sails that agrees.

Huh??? You're the one who implied you sail to use various boats, not
to enjoy them. I just agreed with you the when you're ready to start
enjoying, you might try a cat. Perhaps you should reread what you wrote.

A lot more than you use yours!

Even if we used Heart of Gold half as much we'd still be spending more
time aboard than you.

??? I'll spend about 10 weeks onboard this summer. I've already
spent more time on the water this summer than you will, and we're just
getting started.

Little Neck is so close to your slip that you didn't have to
unplug shore power!!!

We didn't sail from my slip or even City Island. I don't own a Santana
30/30. I own a 35s5. Are you old AND confused?

Why would I know where some random boat is from?

Why would I google it? I was studying NACA foils and how they're
used
in sailboats while you were still in diapers!

And yet you claimed the term didn't exist! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

No, I never said that. I said that your comment was meaningless. You
clearly didn't understand what it means or how to use the term
intelligently. Its pretty clear you still don't.

It IS a real term. Of course.

You are soooooo BUSTED!!! BWAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

And why is that? Everyone knows you're just bluffing and have no idea
what you're talking about!

Here's a hint: tipping is
not necessary to go fast. It is not even desirable. Much of naval
architecture is concerned with minimizing tipping.

Really? Is water also wet? Tell us more! You're starting to sound like
Doug, the King of Keels!

OK, so enlighten us! Tell us what you meant by "foil dynamics" and
how it relates to my comment. Its clear that you know less about
boats than a sunken log, so here's your chance to show us what you
know! You've already been bested by a sunken log once this season,
why don't you go for 2 out of 3?

And yet, my boat is faster than yours on all points of sail!

It's not a monohull and has nothing to do with folks who like to sail
them any more than a tri-foiler does. Cats are ugly and dull and a LOT
of people feel that way and spend big gobbs of money on lovely boats
like Swans, Baltics and Alerions...and even a lowly 35s5!

OK, so you prefer a slow boat. That sounds pretty dull to me.

While its true that mono sales are still bigger than multis, the multi
market is growing a *lot* faster. When I first started cruising the
cat in the Northeast, we were often the first cat people had ever
seen. Now its rare to find even in a small harbor without one or more.

And, I sail it 5 times more than you sail yours!

Is that in Mayfly hours?

You're the one who keep bragging about "3 times a week" and how you're
back home every night. The way you post that "3 times" seems like
maybe 6 hours. When we go out on Thursday we'll do 5 hours to Cape
Ann, then about 8 hours to Cape Elizabeth, maybe 6 hours to Booth Bay,
and so on. By the time we're in Bar Harbor we'll have more sailing in
then you'll do in the summer.

You forget all those years in collegiate racing, then

At your age you'll also be forgetting them quite soon!

I'll already done more sailing than you'll ever do. And frankly,
given your history, I probably have more good years ahead of me than
you do!

So should you! You've posted tons of pics and videos, but none of
them show you doing over 6 knots, and most don't even show both sails!

LOL! The 35s5 rarely does less than 6 knots.

Then the limits you're pushing are the lower limits!

Bragging about what other people have done in boats similar to
yours is the true mark of a loser!

Who's bragging? Pointing out that you and the rest of the full time
ASAers here don't sail is not bragging.

No, its lying.

So now your complaint is that me boat was designed to go fast!

Yup, because you keep bragging again and again that she does 12 knots.
Who cares. She sits flat on the water and does 12 knots with zero fun
factor.

It too bad you don't know how to sail one. You just keep admitting
you ignorance on this topic.

Again, you should try it sometime. Taking a boat our for an hour
is not "pushing the limits."

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! I wonder if you can say one more dumb thing in a single
post and BAM, you outdo yourself! Last month I was out in a J24 for
about an hour. Winds came up to 40+ knots. Still, I guess we were
waiting for the 61 minute mark to know we were over-driving the boat!

And then you woke up and the bed was wet!!!

Sailing with no specific goal, just looking
for a puff to get a little rush, is not "pushing the limits."

Bwahahahahhahahaha! I love Jeff's silly generalizing!

But you know I'm right, and so does everyone else!

Pushing
the limits is when you're in a race and performing at less than 95%
is essentially a DNF.

Dang, is that in a book somewhere? We thought that pushing the limits
meant sailing a boat beyond her conventional design parameters, but
I'm sure glad you set us all straight!

That's real funny! You have never sailed a boat "beyond her
conventional design parameters" and everyone here knows it! You
haven't even been close!

Ah! So now the problem is that you simply don't like to spend
extended time on boats! That much is pretty obvious!

Good lord! You JUST realized this? I don't like spending extended time
on boats.

Now that's a start. And by "extended" we mean more than about 2 hours.

I have other interests that I'm also pasionate about. Even
aboard my friend's Tayana 48DS (A boat 5 times more comfortable than
yours), 4 days aboard was plenty.

BWAHAHAHAAHA! And you claimed you were going to do a
trans-Atlantic!!! You're the first person I've known who claimed to
be a sailor, but thought 4 days on a luxury boat was enough! I'm
guessing your "friend" thought 4 days with you was also "enough"!

And your boat would not feel like a radiator if it actually had
ventilation.

Hmmmm. I wonder what monohull that Jeff "respects" has as better
ventilation than the 35s5? In stock trim she has 11 ports and hatches,
plus we have 3 powered vents. Of course you can add vents, but we've
never had a problem, except maybe on ultra hot days in a slip where we
simply flip on the AC.

Actually, the Multi/Mono comparison in this months Cruising World
(which you seem to take as gospel) pointed out that the cabins on the
big Beneteau were stuffy, but the cat was airy.

And those little side hatches don't really ventilate the boat, and
counting the little hatch inside the cockpit is truly lame! To
ventilate you need forward facing top hatches, which can scoop in any
air. I have 6 of those, you have what, two?

Good God, I should hope not!

Your wish is granted. Even at 44 I've got more going on than you ever
will and having a blast. I know you'll now make all sort of claims
about slain dragons...hey, go right ahead.

Nope. No need. Its pretty clear that you're an insecure little child.
There is very little in your life for anyone to be envious of.

And yet, you've told us that you can't go out for more than a few
days
because of a chronic illness.

Hmmmm. I'd like to read that post. I have an illness, but it doesn't
effect sailing in any way. Even when I was sick, I still could run,
lift and do everything else.

You posted here that was the reason you couldn't go out for more than
a few days.

You're the one who seems debilitated.

Yep....just got back from trail riding and going swimming in the pond
with Thomas in a while. I'm crippled!

Enjoy it while you can.

Yes, we keep hearing about your plans. You always have plans, but
your achievements add up to less sailing than most of us do in a
month!

Bwaahahahhaaha! Yeah? Who is doing all that sailing while posting here
every day!

During the 19 days we were gone I posted 11 short posts, in 5
sessions, using my Blackberry as a modem. During the same period, you
posted around 150 times.

I claim to daysail and do weekend trips. I post pics and
video. There's no doubt. The rest of you are here ALL OF THE TIME!!!
Who are you trying to kid? I'm in touch via direct e-mail with several
people here and they don't believe you sail anywhere either!

I really don't care much what Ed Gordon thinks.

Your pics could be anywhere, anytime. I've posted pics of my boat
everywhere from Toronto to Maine to Key West. I've even posted aerial
shots of my boat in Vineyard Haven.

Thursday we're leaving for four weeks in Maine. And you're just
jacking off in LIS!

Yup. We like sailing. We're not interested in cruising. Learn to live
with that and you may add a few years to your short-fused life.

I really don't care that you're not interested in cruising; you seem
obsessed with the fact that other people have fun even though they
don't have your "life."

I really don't care how you use your boat.

So why respond to every troll like a pavlovian dog.

Me? You respond to every one of mine!!! I've had you hooked for the
last month!

You're the one who keeps
claiming that only you can have fun because your boat tips more and
any other!

It's called heeling, Jeff. And it's a big part of the dynamic of
sailing for most sailors.

Most sailors??? Certainly not! Most sailors understand that it slows
them down! It only the novices who haven't learned yet what true
performance sailing is about. Like a little child you think its more
fun when its tippy!

Acting as though heeling is not a major fun
factor in sailing is like saying the wind in your hair is not part of
the allure of driving a ragtop. Snap out of it, dude.

Most sailors think Fun is getting the most of of the boat, not sailing
poorly. You're the only person who brags about how much fun they have
sailing poorly.

What, you don't enjoy pushing the limits of your boat in light air?

Depends on how light and how hot. Dead calm conditions where no one
can sail on a 100 degree day is not fun for a sailboat underway. But
please tell us how you've sailed and had fun sailing your boat on
those days!

Dead days are fun also! We just fire up the engines and power off at
9 knots!

Actually, I enjoy racing in very light air days. It takes a lot of
skill and patience, but it can be extremely rewarding. You see, I
enjoy all aspects of sailing, not just certain boats in certain winds,
within 3 miles of my slip.

If you even rounded a mark last it would mean that you're trying.
If
you don't race, you can't talk about "pushing a boat to its limits."

I have raced on a J30 and J24's. It was fun for a while. It's not part
of why I want to sailing.

In other words, you sucked at it and never want to do it again.

You will never understand, probably because
you're not a sailor at heart.

Hey, you're the one who just spent the whole post explaining all the
different ways you don't like to sail! It has to be a "performance"
monohull. It has to be tippy to be fun. The wind can't be too light.
It can't be too strong. Its no fun if the boat was actually
designed to go fast. You can't cruise because you get bored after a
few days. You can't race. You have lots of "plans" that never seem
to happen.

Its pretty clear that your only reason to go out at all is to take a
picture and then run back in and post it!

You carry around a phoney bravado
because you've taken a boat this way and that, adding up the miles as
though they are "better" than those who love sailing on Sunday
afternoons, on lakes and so on.

Nope, I never said any of that; you just have to lie like to claim a
"victory." The truth is I have no problem with your daysailing; as
I've said I've done it many times. You're the one who keeps claiming
that no one else can have any fun because they don't do things your
way. In fact, every month or so you have to post a list of why
everyone else can't be having any fun! You are the most insecure
person I've ever known.

If you raced you might learn how to get up to 95%, and
you'd certainly learn the meaning of terms like "pinching" and "foil
dynamics" and how to use them without embarrassing yourself.

Golly, the only one who got embarassed here was you, busted about 5
times in a single post!

You completely soiled your pants with that exchange! You proved you
don't even know the meaning of "going upwind." You even claimed that
most sailors don't care about sailing upwind, they only care how well
a boat pinches. Not surprising that you still don't understand. Just
today you were claiming that boats sail fastest downwind. Someday you
should try a beam reach!