posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Single handed docking

* Capt. JG wrote, On 7/23/2007 8:13 PM:

Have you tried walking the cat to the dock? It's pretty easy to do with twin
engines, and wind off the dock unless quite strong shouldn't present any
problems. This involves using the outboard engine and inboard engine
alternatively without moving the helm (rudder to dock).

Everyone asks me that. I've tried, and I've invited everyone to "show
me how its done" but it doesn't seem to work on my boat.

An alternative to walking if you have enough room (you don't need much) is
to dock stern to, put someone off, and have them walk the stern back
initially on what will be the dock side of the cat while you use the
outboard engine to power forward slightly. As soon as their able, cleat the
line, then help the cat back as you ease off on the outboard engine. You
might need to give the inboard engine something to help.

I've thought about doing that, but I always felt strange bringing the
stern to. In fact, with my backstays going down to the waterline, I
really don't want to get the sterns near anything! The bows,
however, each have a stainless plate so I can easily hold the bows to
the dock all day. The original plan for the "magic spring line" is
that I could bring it bow to, leave both engines in gear, walk up to
the bow and hook a cleat with the line, then back off and spin the
boat. This way I could singlehand dock the boat, even if there's a
boat ahead and behind (which I always had at my old marina) and the
wind is blowing off.