posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default Pround Mac26X owner again

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message
Alan Gomes wrote:
Horvath wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 07:03:40 -0700, Alan Gomes wrote
this crap:

Horvath wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:24:08 -0700, Alan Gomes wrote
this crap:

what's Latin for ''POS that doesn't belong on the ocean''?

"Pars excrementi, quae non oportet esse in mari."

Close!

"Mare."

Nope. The ablative for "sea" is "mari," not "mare."

You said, "in Mari," the "in" puts it in the accusative case, not
ablative. And "esse" should have been in the back.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

Brian's comment: I wasn't miffed. Honest....:-)

Anyway, the way I wrote it was correct. It is "in mare."

"In" as a preposition with a noun in the ablative case can (among its
possible meanings) mean "on." Though with a Mac 26X it could well be that
it's meaning with the accusative ("into") could work also. ;-)

"Mari" is the ablative for "sea." This word does not follow the normal
3rd declension pattern for ablatives. (If my memory serves me, this is
called an "i-stem" noun, but my Latin grammar is not in front of me as I
write this and I am going by memory.)

Vale,
Alan

Dang! How embarrassing to have to correct the above typo.

Correct the above to read, "Anyway, the way I wrote it was correct. It is
"in mari," not "in mare."

Sorry,
AG

In a thousand years, will students of Ancient English be debating over the
correct form of, "Yo, dog, wassup?"?