Shanghai Shanghai is offline

Default How to protect/seal a cedar deck overlay

On Jul 18, 8:26 pm, "Tom Dacon" wrote:
You know, you might want to re-think your choice of materials here.

A number of years ago a renowned boat builder, Renaissance Yachts, launched
a Herreshoff Bounty replica, 57', exquisitely built, with cedar decks like
you're describing, and I saw it up here in Port Townsend, WA, about a year
after it was built. Even after that short time - a year! - the caulk had
begun to separate from the sides of the seams.

However, all that aside, if you can't be dissuaded from using cedar, I'd
suggest Alaskan yellow cedar instead of Port Orford, which is getting
scarcer and scarcer by the year.

Well, Port Orford Cedar has long been considered a prime material for
laid decks at least. My choice is based on two basic criteria. I'm
trying to build the boat using only domestic woods, and I've got
plenty of the POC already cut and airdried in 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 strips
cut from trees on my own property.

I wonder if periodic washdowns with sea water, letting it dry on the
surface to concentrate the salt, and/or washdowns with even saltier
water would stabilize it. I'm also thinking of things like Thompson's
Water Seal.

Sounds like a rubbery caulking (e.g. polyurethane) between the strips
would be advisable over a black epoxy (which I've also heard is used)
due to expansion/contraction issues. I'll have no piercings thru my
glass membrane so no chance of leaks regardless of what happens to the
overlay.