Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Dog off dink??

Stephen Trapani wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies. We didn't take the dog on the weekend
cruise last weekend, but we will try, I think, on the next one. I have a
Sportcat that we haven't been using because it's too heavy to put on and
pull off the dock platform all the time, but I'm reconsidering that for
the sake of the dog. That boat is as solid as a rock. I think we'll try
the piece of astroturf trick, put it down in the cockpit then douse it

I think you will have to train him to use the astroturf. He won't get
the idea all on his own. If you are talking just about pee, then
maybe get him to pee on something at home, and take it onto the boat
so he will know that is something that he can 'mark'.

in the water and wash down the cockpit with a bucket of water too, if he
manages to use it. If not we can throw out the anchor and take him ashore.

If we decide to take him, I'll get one of those PFDs or just a harness
to lift him with. I think I can lift him if I'm up on deck. If not I'll
use the topping lift or a halyard. I can't imagine him being able to
climb up the transom ladder, but I'll sure let him try.

Try having him do some ladders at home first. Slanted at first, and
then up against the side of the house like the transom ladders.
Actually our transom ladder can be pulled out from the side of the
boat. The PO would put it from the boat to the dock and use it as a
ramp to get ashore.

Hadn't though of his water dish sloshing around. I've been wanting to
hook up a hose bib to the water system and this gives me the perfect excuse!

Stephen