Larry Larry is offline

Default 4'/22kg Radar Antenna on Sea Ray 315 Sundancer Arch?

Steve Thrasher wrote in news:469d6401$1
@news.acsalaska.net:

I was on an ancient AD (Destroyer Tender, built during WWII, USS
Arcadia) and had a helluva discussion with a WO who was doing the CIC
thing when we entered the Chesapeake Bay and why the old radar wouldn't
enable me to determine where the bogey I was tracking went into and out
of a glob of traffic. Also he was sure I should be able to pickup
dolphins since the radar beam went over the edge of the ship, made a 90
degree down angle turn, another 90 degree angle turn at the surface,

and
shot out over the surface. To was repeated for the echo. This on a
ship where the repeater would drop out because the AC volts supplied
dropped below 90.

Bill, who was a ETN2 in the old days and has forgotten most of this

kind
of stuff.

Hi, Bill! Nice to meet another tender sailor! Yours would have been an
SPS-21 Pathfinder, too! We also had AN/SPS-6 air search until Navy got
tired of paying to fix it and we turned its nice gyro mount into a
fantastic TV antenna rotator.

Larry ET1 (ET-1598 Cal Tech)
USS Everglades (AD-24)
Started in WW2 but not completed until 1952 for Korean War.
I was aboard her from 1966-1969 Pier Papa, Charleston.
Two Med cruises, Cruises to JAX to do Yellowstone's work for them.
Radio 2 had TBK, TBL, TCS, RBA, RBB, RBO....all mine.
Callsign was Glitter Delta or my ham call at the time WB4THE/MM2 running
phone patch traffic for the crew to K4OKD back home.
KW7, KW37, AN/URC-32, R-390A....real comm equipment of the day.
Can you still hear the 37 beeping taking hits?....(c;