posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop Maxprop is offline

Default Slips are for women and other pussies.

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
Keeping your sailboat in a slip is just plain stupid and here are the
reasons why.

1) You almost always hove to use your motor to get underway. Might as well
own a motor yacht and get it over with.

Funny how all manufacturers put those smelly diesels on their boats. I'll
bet they're only installed in order for moored boats to make it to the
pumpout dock.

2) You and your boat is like an exhibit in a zoo. Lot's of gawkers and
passers by who give you no privacy.

Some of us don't require privacy. OTOH, if I looked like you, I'd probably
prefer to be unseen.

3) A fire in the slip next to yours often times greatly damages your boat
or destroys it completely.

That's what insurance is for = new boat.

4) Most marinas require you carry a huge liability insurance policy.

Can't get insurance on a moored boat in some places.

5) Many will chase you away when a hurricane approaches.

Not many hurricanes up here.

6) Obnoxious, noisy neighbors, barking dogs, cat's and dogs "marking their
territory" using your boat.

Sorry to hear that your neighbors pee on your boat in order to mark their
territory.

7) Lots of roaches, ants, termites, fleas and other vermin all over the
place.

Only spiders.

8) Electrolysis rampant with stray voltage all over the place.

I change my zincs annually.

9) Filthy, oily water with an almost constant diesel fuel sheen in
evidence. This ends up as a black oily scum all around your LWL and boot
stripe.

Not sure how your waterline on that yellow POS got so rank, but mine never
looks anywhere near that foul.

10) All crammed into a small space with little or no breeze - in other
words, hotter than hell.

Southwesterly or northwesterly breezes keep my boat nice and cool at all
times. An advantage in being at the distal end of the dock.

12) People steal anything that's not locked down.

You need to find better "friends and acquaintances." Then again, perhaps
you have nothing worth stealing.

13) A cacophony of slapping halyards, flapping canvas and jury rigged
window air conditioners.

Not in our marina. Again, you need to find better neighbors.

14) Outrageously expensive monthly rent.

Reasonable seasonal rent.

15) Trailer park trash transient atmosphere. Drunken blowhards abound.
Fat lying losers like Bobsprit running their fat mouths trying to impress
other people with their low-end production line French crap.

You really don't choose your neighbors well, do ya.

16) Constant chafe and wear and tear on lines, cleats and other fittings
from the boat not being allowed to point bow to the wind.

Boats on the moorings get waked by the fisherman constantly. People return
to their moored boats on weekends to find everything distributed on the
cabin sole, broken or wet.

17) Foul air from cigars, cigarettes, engines warming up, barbeques
cooking and hot sweaty bodies. Children screaming and running up and down
the dock.

Ah, the smells and sounds of summer.

18) Fat women sunning their ugly carcasses.

On your boat, perhaps.

19) Fat men sunning their ugly carcasses.

Definitely on your boat.

20) and on it goes....

Moorings breaking loose in storms, boat wake causing enough chafe on mooring
lines to cause them to part prematurely, the cedar bucket spilling onto the
cabin sole and putrefying the air in the boat forever, spending a nasty ten
minutes in a pitching dinghy, pelted by rain and spray, attempting to get to
the f***ing moored boat, and on it goes . . .

Slip Renter