posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats,rec.boats.electronics
Harbin Osteen Harbin Osteen is offline

Default 4'/22kg Radar Antenna on Sea Ray 315 Sundancer Arch?

"Larry" wrote in message ...
Marc Heusser alid
wrote in :

I tried to find any specification throgh the local dealer, and he did
not even get an answer at Sea Ray in the States (neither yes nor no,
essentially along the lines of we do not supply it so we do not know):

I would like to have a 4'/22kg Radar antenna on a Sea Ray 315 Sundancer
Sport Spoiler, Molded Fiberglass (Seamless) w/Overhead Lighting.

Is this workable, as I do not seem to get an answer from SeaRay?
Or is there a lower weight limit so I would have to forego the
advantages of a big enough antenna?

TIA

Marc

Marc, let's take a look at reality on radar......

Radar cannot see further than the horizon.

The horizon depends on how far UP the antenna is mounted.

From your SR31, we're up just above the flybridge. How far can YOU see
with binoculars...6 miles? 5? Check it out.

If we had a 500KW military surface search radar on your arch, it could
"see" targets 6 miles away....maybe 8 or 9 if they are TALL targets like
lighthouses, radio towers, etc. So, what's the point?

snip....

Though you might not see targets farther, with a larger antenna you would
have a better resolution, and that would be a good thing, don't you think?

snip....

Larry
--
While in Mexico, I didn't have to press 1 for Spanish.
While in Iran, I didn't have to press 1 for Farsi, either.