Peggie Hall

Default How do I get a hose on a fitting?

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 03:18:07 +0000, Peggie Hall wrote:

The problem is the fitting, Lloyd...you'll never get it onto a gray pvc
1.5" hose without damaging the hose 'cuz nominal 1.5" thread x 1.5"
barbed is actual 1.5" thread x 1 5/8" barbed.

Stop by your local boat store and pick up a nylon 1.5" fitting...the
barbs on those are 1.5".

Not sure what you mean here. The one fitting is the plastic 1" - 1 1/2"
adapter that I bought at a marine store (and it says "1 1/2" right on
it!). The other is the existing brass suction-break that was used with
1 1/2" diesel filler hose.

Never mind what it says...measure the OD. You'll find that nominal (what
it's supposed to be) and actual (what it is) aren't always the same.

PVC plumbing fittings aren't made just for the marine industry...they're
the same PVC fittings that are used throughout the plumbing industry.
I've never found anyone who knows the reason for it, but ALL gray pvc
1.5" thread x 1.5" barbed fittings are actual 1 5/8" barbed. But they're
all marked 1.5 x 1.5. This is only true of 1.5"...for all other sizes,
nominal and actual are the same.

What's more, plumbing fittings--PVC, bronze, or anything else--aren't
made to aerospace tolerances...wall thicknesses of two "identical"
fittings can vary by as much as 50%, which can affect the ID, OD or
both. And OdorSafe hose is so stiff that even a 1/16th an inch can make
it very hard to get onto one.

However, nylon and marelon fittings are made specifically for the marine
industry...and nominal 1.5 x 1.5 fittings are ACTUAL 1.5 x 1.5.

Btw...you said brass...most marine fittings are bronze. If it really IS
brass, I wouldn't use it in a sanitation hose...urine is corrosive and
brass is likely to get clogged up with vertigris.

Warm the hose--don't overheat it!--and put a
little dish soap on the inside of it and on the fitting. You should be
able to get it the hose onto it. I can.

Thanks - I'll try it! If I can't, can you make a house-call to Vancouver,
Canada?

Sure, if you'll pay my travel expenses!

Not sure I can get a hairdrier at this hose.

Lloyd, if you can get at it to work on it, you can get a blow dryer
close enough to it to warm it a bit. That's why they make extension
cords.

--
Peggie

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html