posted to alt.sailing
D Parker D Parker is offline

Default Tanzer 8.5 Deck Cracks

"Richard" wrote in message
We are looking at a Tanzer 8.5 in great shape except for one issue. On the
deck directly above the bulkhead, there is two identical cracks [that have
been gelcoated over]. They are about one foot long and run from the outer
edge of the deck toward the center of the boat.

We don't know how to evaluate what these cracks are trying to tell us
about the design or condition of this Tanzer. Any thoughts?

Richard

Stress cracks most likely, Associtated with the deck flexing some distance
from the bulkhead but having no movement closer to the bulkheads.

Inspect them from the inside as well. They are possibly harmless if they
dont continue into the glass layers or let water penetrate the layers. If
the deck is a composite construction- say balsa core- it may be a bigger
problem if water gets in and can create rot.

Lots of boats end up with stress cracks though. And usually they are only
cosmetic.

DP