posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] justwaitafrekinminute@gmail.com is offline
Senior Member

Default plywood for a tiny boat in Sydney, Australia?

On Jul 16, 11:44 am, Wm Watt wrote:
Nice to see a kindred spirit in the newsgroup.

The plywood of choice if underlayment. It's nailed to floors to go
under vinyl and other flooring, hence it's name. There are three
kinds. Luan and meranti are essentially the same, some king of Asian
cedar. The meranti I've seen has better surfaces and frwer voids than
the lauan.
I don't know why Google groups doen't have a spell checker...

Well, if you are going to use Luan or Meranti (I have used both too)
feel it before you buy. If you "pet" the panel all over with a flat
hand, many times you can "hear" differences in density in this type of
thin, usually pretty dry, plywood. Also look for a sticker on the
sheets that say "TYPE III". It will at least be made with water
resistant adhesive. If you are going to use other than marine, this
stuff, in my opinion, and as available in my area, is much better than
pine or fur for boats. I actually have a couple of sheets put away for
a special project that came with a wild grain and was probably some
other "filler" wood that was used in manufacture. Maybe an end sheet
or something, but it is beautiful. I may make a small kayak or skiff
out of it, the kayak would show off the grain better.