Fay in Cocoa Beach

Default Volvo 4.3 fuel pump woes

"akheel" wrote in message
"Floyd I Johnson" wrote in
om:

ditto what akheel says.
On my 4.3L mercruiser the electric fuel pump has no relay, but is in
series with an oil pressure switch, which prevents the pump from
running if the engine shuts down, and also prevents it from running
during initial cranking. I hooked a 'primer' wire up to an unused
wiper switch on my dash.

Ditto, ditto,
But one more thing-make sure you use a momentary switch. If you don't you
could forget and leave it on, or bump it on by accident. Then the pump
will run continuously when the engine is off. At best you'll run your
battery down. At worst, fuel will flood where its not supposed to and
kaboom!.

I didn't use a momentary switch, but if you leave it turned on you can't
turn off the engine, which reminds you to turn it off. The fuel pump
normally gets its power from the hot side of the coil on my mercruiser.