posted to rec.boats.electronics
Geoff Schultz Geoff Schultz is offline

Default NMEA GPS Antenna Suggestion

"Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote in
:

You'll note that I
even went with different vendors in case one of them had a software
problem which rendered the unit unusable. Based upon where I
typically cruise, calling tech support and just shipping the unit in
isn't a viable option. Based upon my background, I tend to worry
about things that most people don't.

Well, how will you deal with updating the firmware on them? When you
mix and match you run afoul of update problems. Most need to use
their vendor brand of chartplotter to load updates, often via an
SD/MMC/CF flash card.

You update them individually. No issues. With RayMarine you copy the new
software onto a CF card and insert it. It updates. With the NorthStar
they provide the media.

All of the SeaTalk devices require sending them back to RayMarine for
updates. I do send my course computer in about every year to get the
latest updates. That has helped with some issues.

-- Geoff