posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney Bill Kearney is offline

Default NMEA GPS Antenna Suggestion

You'll note that I
even went with different vendors in case one of them had a software
problem which rendered the unit unusable. Based upon where I
typically cruise, calling tech support and just shipping the unit in
isn't a viable option. Based upon my background, I tend to worry
about things that most people don't.

Well, how will you deal with updating the firmware on them? When you mix
and match you run afoul of update problems. Most need to use their vendor
brand of chartplotter to load updates, often via an SD/MMC/CF flash card.

I've got a Lowrance LGC-2000 hooked up to my Raymarine E-80. This in
addition to the Raymarine 125 that connected via SeaTalk. The Lowrance unit
is connected to the SeaTalk2 bus (aka NMEA 2000 with different connectors).
The E-80 gives priority to the Seatalk2 bus over SeaTalk, which is in turn
given priority over NMEA-0183 devices. I've had a few glitches now and then
with the 125 on SeaTalk.

I've also got some Lowrance fuel flow sensors on the NMEA-2000 bus. Trouble
is I don't have a Lowrance chartplotter to let me load up the newest
firmware on them. So I have to either borrow someone else's (or buy one) or
pull them out of the fuel lines and send them back to the factory (or to
someone else's chartplotter). So don't forget to factor the updating issues
when going with different vendors.

-Bill Kearney