posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] doublesb@hotmail.com is offline

Default Plans for Whaler Sport type hull?

No, Montauks are tri hull. The new whalers have more of a vee hull
because I think people started to realize how useless Whalers are.
Whalers plane off great but hopefully you don't hit any waves. It's
sort of hard to imagine any body of water with no waves. BTW, you're
probably wondering why we own 3. I had nothing to do with the
purchase of any and everybody looked at me like I had three heads when
I said " Whalers are useless". You know, you get the "well if you cut
them in half they still float", great, how often does that happen?
OTOH, how often are there waves? We use them in a bay where the water
can get extremely shallow but really can't go out into the open water
unless your idea of fun is herniating a few discs in your lower
back .

On Jul 6, 7:33 pm, wrote:
On Jul 6, 5:58 pm, wrote: I have 3 Boston Whalers in my family ( two 17 foot Montauks and a 15
footer) and I'm building a dory because the Boston Whaler might be the
most over-rated boat in history. If your going fishing in a pond with
no waves a whaler is great. If the lake has waves a whaler will drive
you crazy.Forget about rowing a whaler. It's an awsome bayboat with a
shallow draft but I'll take a flat bottomed dory anyday over a whaler.
It's not a dry boat,you can't sail a whaler and it's terrible in
trailing seas. It's actually extremely one dimensional which is it is
good in shallow calm water and that's it.

Thanks for the input. I will take another look at the Montauks, but I
think it is more of a vee hull with some planing decks, not a tri-hull
like the sport 13, I could be wrong but I will look. I actually have a
fishing boat for bigger water and the sound, but this one would be for
small lakes, fishing, only waves are the ski boats. I would probably
drag the kids around with a tube, and take it to the mouth of the
river nights for crabbing. That's why I am interested in the square
nose as it is best to crab with two up front and it's easier in a
square than a pointy skiff. Another problem is for the small lakes I
fish in now, my big pointy skiff is a little heavy to load and unload.
I will go look at some boats, see if I can get a ride in a Whaler
Sport before I start to build. If anyone wants to see the lines I drew
up, send me an email and I will send over a file made with Carlson's
"Hulls" software. I can send the whole program if you wish. It is a
self contained, simple program that runs within it's own directory, no
installation necessary. Anyway, hear is won't run right on Vista, but
it runs fine for me on Vista. I am not affiliated with Carlson and
have no interest except I think it is a cool program. And it's free.