posted to rec.boats.building
Island Teak Island Teak is offline

Default ready to put some boat on my boat

"Bill" wrote in message
ps.com...

I have neve used bamboo on the water, but I did build a traditional
bamboo
house years ago and watched the structual integrity of the bamboo break
down
over a few years. I should add that this was a stilt house with ample air
circulation with a dry climate for at least 6 months of the year. Best
thing about a bamboo house is that you get a nice, new fresh house every
few
years.

Was the bamboo treated in any way? How many years did it last. I am
planning to get two poles and treating two masts. The idea is that if
I get five years per mast then I have a good inexpensive beautiful
lightweight mast that will go ten years. Thats not too bad for a $100
and a little build time. If they last 10 years each I will be
extremely happy. I plan to treat them and plug the ends so that the
inside wont get wet at all even with the epoxy coating. I also will
take the seecond mast the first few sails and the first few long sails
just in case I push too hard or just screw up and break a mast. I
really want to use bamboo for the look and weight.

Not treated at all and the bamboo houses last maybe 3 years depending on
insects and the wet periods.

Best of luck to you.

...Ken