posted to rec.boats.building
OldNick OldNick is offline

Default ready to put some boat on my boat

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 22:43:30 -0700, Bill
wrote stuff
and I replied:

Political announcement:

Top post

AND I will remove the last 3 weeks' postings as well:

Bill:

You are "asking for advice" on a public forum. Not everybody who
questions your actions has to have tried it before. Much of the
progress of any engineering process relies on the expoerience of many
other people, who have tried stuff and documented their failures along
with their successes.

In turn many others have read of the repeated experience of other
people (that's science and its spread) and will pass it on to any
person who tried to repeat past failures.

Bruce has apparently had direct experience with bamboo. He has also
seen bamboo fail when others tried it.

Stop clinging to your ideas....no...fine cling as you wish...but do
NOT belittle those who have either experenced failure or WITNESSED
failure, who are willing to pass that experience on.

Bruce, I didn't know you had done it but I got the impression that you
were another usenet idiot that likes to tell people what to do without
having ever tried it since you didn't state that you have done this
before. I didn't mean to offend you but posting to newsgroups in the
past has occasionally brought these people to me and it really bothers
me.I apologize if that is not you or your intention. As for the
thought of a foam cored fiberglass mast, yes I have thought of it
along with aluminum but ultimately I want the boat to be all wood and
rope appearance, as much as possible. I know treating the bamboo is
more work but I am doing a lot of things that are more work just to
get the boat I really want. I am planning on making my own rope
stropped blocks as well. They will be bigger and take a lot more time
but I think it will give a better appearance. The sheaves will be
bronze but little else will be made of anything other than wood, rope
or clear fiberglass. Maybe this will clear things up and bring the
peace back to RBB.

Bill

Human bevaviour: Bestiality with a brain