posted to rec.boats.building
Bill Bill is offline

Default ready to put some boat on my boat

On Jul 5, 5:58 pm, Bruce wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:20:39 -0700, Bill

wrote:
Well, sorry you are so defensive. The reason I care is this is a
builders group, and I am a builder. You came here for help (unless you
are just dreaming and bragging) and I thought I was helping. Screw you
though, I won't make that mistake again. I can't imagine coming to
someone for help, then turning into an ahole when you hear something
you don't want to hear or address, but that's just me.

I posted an update of my build for all the people that might be
interested and I immediately get replies of 'why would you do that,
that wont ever work and it's not a good idea' from people that have
never tried it before. The responses I got from you and Bruce were
very harsh and from people that have not even stated any experience
with this material. In my experience when two people interested in
building something are talking a project it is more constructive than
that. You ask questions if you don't know and make polite
suggestions, you don't say things like it could never be a permanent
solution, if you haven't tried it. You don't jump all over someone
that has been planning or many months after thingkin about it for five
minutes. Sorry if I seem a bit defensive but I came here to share and
post a little something to an otherwise low active group and I get
attacked by several people that think they know everything. Next time
you try to help someone maybe you could be polite about it. That goes
for Bruce even more, just because you never did it doesn't mean it
can't be done.

I rather resent your statement "from people that have
never tried it before" as I've been building boats since I was 12
years old - more then sixty years ago and I have attempted to use
bamboo for a number of purposes ranging from masts to handles for boat
hooks and found that contrary to appearances it was never as effective
as some other common material. I might also mention that I am a
mechanical engineer so I do have some familiarity with strengths of
various materials.

I believe I stated that it is your boat, with the implication that you
could and would do as you wanted.

So, enlighten me. Would you suggest I do the next time someone starts
to explain how they are going to go to something that I have tried and
found to be a totally unsatisfactory solution to the problem? Should I
walk away snickering under my breath, "friggin idjet" or should I try
to tell the guy that it might not work.

You tell me that you are going to buy a piece of bamboo (that if you
do not store very carefully will warp like crazy) split it lengthwise
and carve out the webs; paint it with epoxy; glue it back together and
then sheath it with 200 oz. glass; and that you have been thinking
about this for years -- have you ever given thought to the fact that
if you were to build a foam cored ,glass coated mast, similar to those
used on wind surfers it would be (1) stronger and (2) easier to build?

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Bruce, I didn't know you had done it but I got the impression that you
were another usenet idiot that likes to tell people what to do without
having ever tried it since you didn't state that you have done this
before. I didn't mean to offend you but posting to newsgroups in the
past has occasionally brought these people to me and it really bothers
me.I apologize if that is not you or your intention. As for the
thought of a foam cored fiberglass mast, yes I have thought of it
along with aluminum but ultimately I want the boat to be all wood and
rope appearance, as much as possible. I know treating the bamboo is
more work but I am doing a lot of things that are more work just to
get the boat I really want. I am planning on making my own rope
stropped blocks as well. They will be bigger and take a lot more time
but I think it will give a better appearance. The sheaves will be
bronze but little else will be made of anything other than wood, rope
or clear fiberglass. Maybe this will clear things up and bring the
peace back to RBB.

Bill