posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes Jack Erbes is offline

Default Supressing RF Interferance from NMEA Junction

GeoffSchultz wrote:
snip
Thanks for the pointers to multiplexors. I have 3 devices connected
to the 4800 bps NMEA output and I don't seem to have any problems with
data reliability or noise. It's when I connect the 38400 AIS data
that I get the problem. I don't have time to analyze my options right
now as I'm in the process of storing the boat for hurricane season,
but when I get home I'll re-think my solution and perhaps get
something that bridges to the SeaTalk bus so that I can get full
access to that data.

I don't have a multiplexer or a boat that needs one but If I did I'd
probably give them serious consideration. Being able to mix baud rates
and different flavors of RS-232 and NMEA would have to come in handy
sooner or later.

The AIS thing is new to me, I've not been around it or used it at all
yet but it sure sounds like a good thing and and something I'd like to
have working as well as possible. I think having to diddle with the old
hardware when you add new hardware to boats, is just one of the prices
paid for

Meindert is too modest to have said it here, but he is the designer and
proprietor of the Shipmodul line I linked in my post. He knoweth of
what he speaks and posts here regularly. He can always be relied on to
straighten out and better explain my layman's mumblings about what is
happening on stuff like this.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)