posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Ed Gordon Ed Gordon is offline

Default Pround Mac26X owner again

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:21:52 -0400, "Ed Gordon"
wrote:

Well, I did it. I'm now the proud re-owner of a Mac 26X and a fine one
she is if I must say so myself. I got her at a real bargain basement
price, yes siree! Before I launch her for the first time I've got a
couple things I want to do. First is to rename her. I don't like the
present name at all.

I'm torn between a couple of different names.

1) Symbiosis (comment on how well sail and power are built into one
boat)
2) Sea's Son (double entendre)
3) Sensibility (descriptive)
4) Plaid Power (rather Scottish a compliment on MacGregor, I guess
he's
Scottish)

What one do you think is best?

Cheers,
Ed Gordon

A name that's not identifiably female on a sailing vessel?
I don't think so!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Female names are for ships of the line like in the old English wooden
navy days.

Everybody knows a Mac26X is not a female. People who sail Mac's don't
usually give them girly names. Mac's need practical names that describe
how they are or what they can do. That's why I'm leaning towards calling
mine "Sensibility" or "Symbiosis".

Girl's names are better for the traditional boats that have the old
fashioned sheer lines and the wine glass transom shape. They look like
they have a rounded female shape. A Mac26X has a shape more like a man.
Like a body builder. Angular and square and powerful lines is what a
Mac26X is all about.

Cheers,
Ed Gordon