posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes Jack Erbes is offline

Default NMEA GPS Antenna Suggestion

GeoffSchultz wrote:
On Jul 1, 11:09 pm, Larry wrote:
GeoffSchultz wrote roups.com:

I have a RayMarine SeaTalk based RayStar 120 GPS antenna which is a
piece of crap.

Shhh....take the 4 screws out of the Raymarine 2KW radome, pull off the top
and let me know how corroded all those pot metal parts look....another PoS.

Larry

I pulled the cover off of my radome earlier this year and there wasn't
a spec of rust and it's spent years down in the very humid western
Caribbean. So I have no idea why you keep harping on this.

Now, instead of taking this down a rat hole, does anyone have
suggestions for a marine grade NMEA GPS antenna

My son runs the Electric shop for a yacht manufacturer. He tells me
that the problem with the 120's was a combination of a software issue
and they also had problem with internal condensation.

They are best described as prone to failure because of the condensation
issue.

The company he works for has replaced all the 120's they sold with the
Raystar 125.

The Raystar 125 is both NMEA and SeaTalk compatible whereas with the 120
you had to buy a model that was one or the other.

Thanks for your input on the condition of the interior or your Raymarine
radome. My son sees the interior of about 100 or so a year, some them
up to 6 or 8 years old, that are not having any problems with corrosion
either.

Jack