posted to alt.animals.whales,alt.buzzard.rules,alt.sailing.asa
Floyd L. Davidson Floyd L. Davidson is offline

Default SAILING AGAIN TO CATCH A .............

"Steve Leyland" wrote:
Once upon a time in a magickal land far far away the being called Floyd L.
Davidson stirred from its deep slumber and pronounced to usenet:

: "Steve Leyland" wrote:
::
:: I have been a vegetarian for the last 25 years, jeanne.
:: have you ever considered not killing innocent creatures and
:: consuming their rotting cadavers as food?
:
: You are a hypocrit, and an ignorant one at that.

no, I'm sincere about it. oh and save the insults, I'm not looking for a
flamewar.

Those are *not* gratuitous personal insults. They are
precisely what your statement above logically leads to.

Yes, it *is* insulting. If you don't like that, then
don't make statements that describe you as an ignorant
hypocrite.

: You think plants are not alive, that they don't die so
: that you can eat them?

I have to eat food to stay alive; I see vegetarianism as the least harmful
and most ethical method of that.

It is an absurd claim though, and only made by ignorant
hypocrites. You are saying that what *he* kills to stay
alive is wrong and excessive, while what *you* kill to
stay alive is merely an ethical means of living.

That is *not* logical. The only difference is "he"
versus "you". That makes you a bigot.

: You think that no animals die so that your veggies can
: be grown and marketed?

yes.

Go visit a farm.

What do you think happens when a field for vegetables is
plowed? What happens when the tractor goes over it with
a disk? It is a *massive* kill off of animal life! And
many mechanized harvesting methods are equally deadly to
animals (consider mowing a field of hay... and the
thousands of small animals that die in the process).

Besides that, *plants* are living beings that are killed
to allow you to eat. How can you say that the living
organism killed to feed *me* is has greater (or lesser)
significance as a life form than the organisms killed to
feed *you*!

: Tell you what, oh ignorant one, a lot less death occurs
: when a single whale is killed to provide 40,000 pounds
: of meat than the number of deaths that result in
: stocking your local supermarket with loaves of bread for
: just one day!

okay go on then I'll bite. please do educate me as to precisely how many
animals have to die to grow a field of organic wheat and process it into
bread?

Thousands!

On a different note, I see you are into other forms of
hypocrisy:

"When the Earth has been ravaged and the animals are dying, a tribe of
people from all races, creeds and colours shall put their faith in
deeds, not words, and make the land green again. They shall be known as
Warriors of the Rainbow, protectors of the environment."

Native American prophecy

"Native American prophecy" my ass. That's some white
man's made up fable. You wouldn't know a Native prophecy
if you heard one.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)