Bill Kearney Bill Kearney is offline

Default turning and tabs

It's called adaptability. You learn how the boat handles over time
and adapt your techniques which allows you to handle different
situations correctly.

Exactly my point. I take issue with folks that insist on espousing
absolutes when it comes to close quarters handling of a boat. All this
nonsense about what you MUST do, without taking the setup of the boat into
account, is stupid.

I have a friend who has a really old bubble boat and I can't dock it -
literally. It's got so many quirks/quarks/quibbles in the steering
and shifting that you really have to know the boat to do it correctly.

And you'll never learn the nuances of the boat if you get hung up on stupid
advice like not using throttles or rudders. It may well prove to be true
that a given boat will handle just fine with no rudder action at only an
idle. But you'll never know until you try.