Gregory McGuire

Default over loading - tell me you you have experienced and help me

Great information Camilo,
I had read something like this even before I had bought the boat. Seems to
me that prop torque could be trying to turn the boat. Thing was that with
all the weight in the boat it happened. And when pulling a skier then on a
sharp turn it wants to turn harder than I am steering - seems that the boat
wants to turn more than the amount of steering I'm giving it. Now it didn't
want to "list" right/left with only 2 people pulling a skier - straight, and
on light turns.
I'm not sure where I read about this but it could have been on mercury
marine's website about modifying their outboards with a trim fin.
I had read somewhere that when a trim fin was installed on a boat with a
V-Bottom that this could cause passengers to be thrown overboard.
I'm gona get a picture of the back of my boat and the trim fin on there and
then you can tell me if everything is ok...
Greg
"Camilo" wrote in message
"Gregory McGuire" wrote in message
Today I went to lake camanche (in California), and I think I overloaded

my
boat and it handled like it was listing to one side and then the other.

was afraid that if I went too fast that I could loose control. Steering

was
very heavy and unresponsive. I wanted to make two trips but my younger
brother said we were going to be all right.

It could be that this is a function of several factors - overloading, too
much weight forward, motor trimmed in too much and the hydrofoil on your
lower unit. There has been quite a few discussions on iboats.com forums

on
this sort of phenomenon. for example, check out this link for a similar
(not identical) problem:

http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...c;f=1;t=009102

The bottom line is that the hydrofoil can exacerbate hull steering in some
situations, especially if the motor is trimmed too far in and the bow is
plowing a little.