posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default On a serious note

* Vic Smith wrote, On 6/26/2007 1:53 PM:

I was under the impression that Capt. Rob sails more than anybody who
frequently posts here. Is that a wrong impression?

RB claims to sail a lot, but he hardly sails "more than anyone else."
For starters, although he owns a "racer/cruiser" he has neither
raced nor cruised. His trips are essentially going out for a few
hours and aimlessly sailing around. Each year he announces grandiose
plans for a cruise or race, but these never come to pass, and in fact
he sails less and less each year.

There is nothing wrong with this approach to sailing - in fact, that's
about what I did for my first 8 years, and I still do it at times.
The issue is that as someone who has virtually never raced or cruised,
his credibility on these topics is severely limited. When pressed on
various topics, he demonstrates that he actually is quite ignorant of
basic concepts of sailing and cruising. In other words, most of his
"wisdom" is really third hand opinions from the yacht club bar. If
you need to know the market value of a common club racer, he may have
the answer - in other words, he's as knowledgeable as a junior used
car salesman.

Add to this that he is an admitted pathological liar, who brags about
making fools of people that believed him, and there's little to be
gained by taking anything he says seriously.

To me what is important here is that no matter how many toys you
accumulate, a head knock into a dock takes them from you.
Whether the meaning here is collect and enjoy while you can, or
cherish your family while you can, or both, is left for the reader to
decide.
Hey, I'm really thinking about the F-24 tri instead of the Mac 26M.
What are your views?

This would certainly be the superior sailing experience.