posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
[email protected] a@b.mex is offline

Default 30 footer: which radar/GPS plotter/sonar?

We've owned our 52' sailboat for 21 years. My personal choice is
Furuno. My radar, my GPS, my WFAX, my VHF - they're never quit - never
need service - in 21 years - and we've cruised full time for 14 years.
The only other gear we have to match that is the WH autopilot.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 01:39:14 +0200, Marc Heusser
alid wrote:

Which radar/GPS plotter and possibly sonar and autopilot would you
recommend for a 30 footer (motor boat) and why?
Over here one seems to get decent support for Furuno, Simrad and
possibly Raymarine.
Planning to use it in tight waters, so resolution of the radar as well
as easy operation (eg radar/gps overlay) are important criteria, as well
as reliability and longvity. It would serve for navigation, not fishing.
Having most of it on one display would ease installation (not too much
space left).

I have been looking at eg (10"-12" color LCD)
Simrad CX44-E and 4' slot antenna
Furuno 1834C and 2' radom antenna
Raymarine E-series?

TIA