posted to rec.boats.building
Paul Oman Paul Oman is offline

Default Polyurethane and tacky epoxy

wrote:

On Jun 23, 6:26 pm, Lodewijk Stegman
wrote:

schreef in news:1182605034.890782.50700

Has anyone tried or know what would happen if you applied a
polyurethane product over epoxy when the epoxy was still tacky. Would
the adhesion be better? Would it intefere with the cure of the epoxy?
What about a latex primer over sticky epoxy? Anyone try anything like
that to try and get a better adhesion to the epoxy?

I have never tried it, for the reason that my local vendor warns against
doing this. They even claim that is wise not to paint epoxy before it is
fully (and I mean FULLY) cured. That can take up to a week, depending on
temperature and formulation of the epoxy.

-------------------

We have put wet latex over wet epoxy (epoxy that was mixed minutes
before). If it is a top epoxy you get a perfect finish, of course you
cannot brush the latex paint on....

folks usually wait a bit past tacky (but still soft enough to put your
thumbnail into the epoxy).

Actually epoxies take about a week to fully cure, so if you have
topcoated epoxy in less than a week, you've actually painted over not
fully cured epoxy anyway. At least in theory, the coating fuse and you
get a chemical as well as a mechanical bond.

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers inc
www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html