posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Converting Diesel engines to burn Bio-fuel

On 2007-06-19 11:15:39 -0400, Joe said:

Has anyone here converted your boats engine over to burn bio-fuels?

The smell of french fry, or duncan doughnuts exhaust fumes sure would
be nicer than diesel.

Here in Houston we have a dealer than will deliver and it's cheaper
than Diesel fuel.

Gosh, so many replies, none that answered the question, actually.

Commercial biodiesel is considerably different than the home-brews from
used oils. Ask the dealer for the supplier's website so you can see
what you're getting: Superior cetane and lubrication, much fewer
particulates, essentially zero pollution.

We have a 2GM20F, about 15 years old, that we regularly run at up to
60% Bio. Motor runs smoother, starts easier, and definitely smells a
heck of a lot better.

Haven't found a down-side, no bug/dirt problems or the such, but I try
to be mostly petro when we haul in the winter, as there were some
reports a few years ago that bio didn't like to spend the winter
sitting.

I'd snap that fuel up in a second, AND check to see if my engine
manufacturer had found any problem with running 100% in your climate.
If I remember correctly, a boat with standard engines (I believe diesel
outboards) went around the world on 100% bio as a publicity stunt.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD