posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default Unhappy Corolla Owners

Have not experienced this even in winter Rocky Mt driving.

Test drive a Subaru Legacy GT or WRX, BMW 328XI or even a M35x. Then
get back into your hamster box and let me know how it handles.

Have not experienced this even on 12% downhill grades.

I doubt you even know what brake fade is. Try a series of hard stops.
This is a comfirmed issue with the Corolla.

Vague center steering response at speed

Nope.

Uh, yup. Again, you don't know because you don't drive a road car.
Have you ever read a review of the Subaru sports cars? My LGT eats BMW
330 XI's for breakfast. Tweak both cars and the LGT wins by an even
bigger margin where the LGT can make 315 HP without swapping the
turbo.

Very excessive road noise. Can't use cell phone, stereo must be turned up

all the way. Road noise is not helped by changing tires.

And if this doesn't challenge your self respect, imagine how bad it is
for a child. All of my cars have quiet interiors. The Tribeca is the
quietest of any SUV.

Maybe in the back seat.

Did you buy a two seater? Try to put three adults in a Corolla and you
can lose friends. One of my girlfriends traded in for a superior
(Vastly) Matrix for that very reason.

Awful off the line acceleration, almost stalls.

You aint kidding. The corolla is dangerously underpowered. How bad is
it? Try 0-60 in 9 seconds. Some sources say 10 seconds. Best I've seen
for the manual is 8.73. My 5000 lbs Kia Sedona can make 7.2 seconds!
Toyota acknowleged that the Sienna was underpowered and now matches
the Kia for speed. What does THAT say about the poor Corolla. This is
a major reason the Corolla is a poor man's car and will remain so.

44 mpg highway. 36+ around town.

Virtually no one is reporting these figures. You must have the Meade
Prototype Corolla.

NO 5 star crash rating as with Legacy.

5 star driver and passenger, just like Legacy at 1/2 the price and
twice the
gas mileage!

Yeah, and it has 4 wheels just like the Legacy....but no AWD, no 5
star rating for the rear, no power, weaker brakes, far lesser handling
and so on. The poor Corolla is not even worth the 15K at all.

It does not enter into the realm of motoring. But neither
does any Subaru product.

Toyota does not agree with you. They recently bought a stake in Subaru
away from GM. Like most real driving enthusiasts, they know what
Subaru has done with the WRX, STI and LGT...three cars that stomp on
the toes of a lot of European cars from BMW and Audi. The STI tuned
Legacy will go even further with a whopping 340 HP stock and even more
aggressive handling.
You've clearly shown your ass on this, Bob. Comparing your sad
econobox to a Legacy would be like comparing my car to an M5. But
you'd have to drive an M car to know what I mean, since the raw
numbers really don't tell much of the story. Get back to me when
you've got some basic car experience and we'll talk.

RB
35s5
NY