posted to rec.boats.building
tomdownard tomdownard is offline

Default Copper tubing and sea water

On Jun 2, 4:27 pm, ian wrote:
I am thinking of using plain old copper tubing (the type you get from
Home Depot) to cool the winding section of a a generator by wrapping a
few turns of the copper tubing around the casing and then pumping sea
water directly around the tubing. Can anyone advise whether this is
going to work? Obviously I don't mind if it gets an ugly blue colour
inside the tubing however I don't want to be loosing cooling
efficiency with time, or worse have the tubing leak. The reason I
don't want to use cuprous nickel is that it is much less malleable
than standard copper tubing and I would not be able to simply wrap it
around the casing.

All ideas and comments appreciated.

Ian

A German fellow from WW2 (NAZI) showed me a trick that worked fairly
well for me. He pinched off one end of the copper tubing and filled
the soft copper with sand. Then pinched off the other end. Did all the
bending, then cut the ends that were pinched off with a tubing cutter.
Not one kink anywhere! No flattened tubing no matter how I twisted and
bent it. Drained the dry sand back out after bending. I had to twirl
it around, but I could have just blown it out with an air hose.
Stick with me Ian, You will be wearing rocks as big as diamonds. My
Dad used to say that.