posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop Maxprop is offline

Default Re-core ? ? ?

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Maxprop" wrote:
First, you apparently have no concept of the Chicago-Mac race.

No, "apparently" I don't. I've just sailed it more times than you.

Well, that wouldn't be hard to do. I've never raced the Mac. But I
question your veracity in this. It's like claiming to have been at
Woodstock--about a million more people than were there claim to have gone.
But I can check on your veracity--give me some boat names, skippers, and
years. It's all in the archives, and easily obtainable.

..... It's
generally a light air event, seldom bringing forth rough weather.

"Generally" is a nice elusive word.

It's appropriate. There have been some heavy weather races, but in general
it's light air. I see the boats go by every year, and have been doing so
since the mid-80s. I believe that qualifies me to make an accurate
observation, not to mention that it gets a ton of press around here,
including a day-to-day weather and conditions report.

I think the Chi-Mac race (have to be specific since there are now at
least three other Mac races) has wind & conditions generally

A "nice elusive word," eh?

reflective of summer sailing on the Great Lakes. People tend to
remember the blows, though. Just like your mistaken impression that
the Sydney-Hobart race is always a struggle for survival.

I never claimed it was. And once again you've attributed words to me that I
never said. You're quite adept at that--it's called lying. *Generally* the
Hobart is several force factors above anything normally seen in the Mac.
Few Hobarts escape without at least a day or so of heavy weather.
(Incidentally, "Mac" is the term used around here for the Chicago-Mac. The
Port Huron is abbreviated exactly as that.)

My own
boat, Clover, a 1982 Sea Sprite 34, won second in her class a decade ago,
in
a year that actually amounted to some good sailing with a consistent 15
kts.
throughout most of the race. That's light air by anyone's standard, but
significantly more than most Macs see.

15 kts is "light air"?

Absolutely. Do you believe it to be *heavy?*

..... The trial of the Mac, however, is
finding experienced crew--most won't do a second one after drifting north
for a week.

Not even close, at least not among the Mac sailors I know.

Living here, I'm confident I know many more than you, Tarheel. Some have
raced the Mac more years than I've been sailing, and they despise the
drifters. They are the dedicated Mac afficiandos. Most crew aren't that
dedicated, rather more like casual racers looking for some kicks and the
right to claim a participation in the Mac. They experience a drifter
(typical) and decide that around-the-buoys racing is more their speed. I've
personally spoken with dozens of the latter types. Three of them are 1D35
skippers in our fleet.

.... Second, I never indicated that Mac boats are throw-aways. I
applied that only to the Hobart maxis.

I see. So it's not the racing boats in *your* neighborhood that are
throw-aways, it's always the other guys.

What hogwash that comment is. Not worth responding to, beyond pointing out
that its just more Doug-style bull****.

.... You love to twist my words to fit
your particular brand of anti-social rhetoric.

All I do is point out your falsehoods & illogic.

No. You lie and you spin. You've lied and spun consistently since the
inception of our debates (arguments, more correctly). You are incapable of
carrying on a logical, dispassionate debate with me for some reason. To the
contrary, you find it necessary to denigrate me, rather than dispute my
argument. That is the hallmark of one who's own argument is already lost.

Come to think of it, I'd also like to see him point out my
"uncivility" also... probably just means that I have the bad manners
to disagree with him

Your lack of civility is seldom seen while addressing issues with others.

My "lack of civility" is in the eye of the beholder, mainly.

Perhaps, but ad hominem attacks, of which you seem incapable of avoiding
when debating me, are hardly civil. If you hadn't noticed, I've begun to
respond in kind--no point not to at this stage of our relationship. You and
I will never be friends, nor will we ever have anything resembling respect
for each other. Let the cannonballs fly, so to speak . . .

In some models... it may just be the ones sold over here... a lot of
the detailing is not fit for hard sailing (by which I mean spending
many days a year actively sailing the boat in winds of say 15 to 30
knots, corresponding seas... not extreme conditions). Another issue
are things like the wiring & plumbing fit-out which are not well
enough finished off to avoid corrosion, chafing, creeping &
progressive mis-alignment, etc etc.

Do I detect an implication of "flimsy?" Glad I didn't say that. g

Generally,

My, how nicely elusive . . .

one does not refer to wiring & plumbing & mechanical issues
as "flimsy." Generally, that refers to structure of hull & strength of
rig. A "flimsy" boat is one that distorts visibly when the backstay is
cranked on, or lets you know it's time to change down by popping it's
tabbing, etc etc.

'Definitions according to Doug King.' That's another thing I find so
predictable about you--you have all the answers, evey time, on every
subject, without fail. Nice to know such confidence exists, even if it's
delusional.

Max