posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Re-core ? ? ?

"Maxprop" wrote:
First, you apparently have no concept of the Chicago-Mac race.

No, "apparently" I don't. I've just sailed it more times than you.

..... It's
generally a light air event, seldom bringing forth rough weather.

"Generally" is a nice elusive word.

I think the Chi-Mac race (have to be specific since there are now at
least three other Mac races) has wind & conditions generally
reflective of summer sailing on the Great Lakes. People tend to
remember the blows, though. Just like your mistaken impression that
the Sydney-Hobart race is always a struggle for survival.

My own
boat, Clover, a 1982 Sea Sprite 34, won second in her class a decade ago, in
a year that actually amounted to some good sailing with a consistent 15 kts.
throughout most of the race. That's light air by anyone's standard, but
significantly more than most Macs see.

15 kts is "light air"?

..... The trial of the Mac, however, is
finding experienced crew--most won't do a second one after drifting north
for a week.

Not even close, at least not among the Mac sailors I know.

.... Second, I never indicated that Mac boats are throw-aways. I
applied that only to the Hobart maxis.

I see. So it's not the racing boats in *your* neighborhood that are
throw-aways, it's always the other guys.

.... You love to twist my words to fit
your particular brand of anti-social rhetoric.

All I do is point out your falsehoods & illogic.

Come to think of it, I'd also like to see him point out my
"uncivility" also... probably just means that I have the bad manners
to disagree with him

Your lack of civility is seldom seen while addressing issues with others.

My "lack of civility" is in the eye of the beholder, mainly.

In some models... it may just be the ones sold over here... a lot of
the detailing is not fit for hard sailing (by which I mean spending
many days a year actively sailing the boat in winds of say 15 to 30
knots, corresponding seas... not extreme conditions). Another issue
are things like the wiring & plumbing fit-out which are not well
enough finished off to avoid corrosion, chafing, creeping &
progressive mis-alignment, etc etc.

Do I detect an implication of "flimsy?" Glad I didn't say that. g

Generally, one does not refer to wiring & plumbing & mechanical issues
as "flimsy." Generally, that refers to structure of hull & strength of
rig. A "flimsy" boat is one that distorts visibly when the backstay is
cranked on, or lets you know it's time to change down by popping it's
tabbing, etc etc.

DSK