posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Bruce Bruce is offline

Default Converting Diesel engines to burn Bio-fuel

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:38:12 +0000, Larry wrote:

" wrote in
roups.com:

Maybe someone in the group knows more about this and if
there are any useful additives (I'm guessing detergent and lubricant)
that you might want to think about...

Fuel oil, including dino diesel #2 and canola/corn oil IS LUBRICANT!
More oil company disinformation. I know a guy with 160K miles on a
Cummins 6-cylinder diesel Dodge pickup that's only had one tank of diesel
fuel in it since it was new. It's running on the same injection pump.

Of course, my old Mercedes 220D isn't a fair comparison. Its injection
pump has a SEPARATE OIL SUMP filled with SAE 30 motor oil that's changed
out at 60K miles since 1972. When we overhauled the little 4-cyl 2.2L
diesel, we sent the pump in for overhaul. It came back with a note
asking what we wanted them to do to it. After 25 years, it was well
within tolerances in pressure and fuel delivery quantity requiring no
service. We refilled it with fresh lube oil and put it back on the
restored engine block. I'm still driving it another 90K later....(c;

What? You mean if it has its own LUBE OIL it will last 30 years of
everyday driving? Isn't that against the law?!

The injection pump in my 300TD 5-cyl turbodiesel uses dirty crankcase oil
to lube it, which gets changed at 3000 miles. I don't like it, but it's
also still running fine at 250K miles and 24 years.

I told the Mercedes dealer I was gonna buy a new car....as soon as I
figured out how to wear these old ones out! He looked upset....(c;

Larry

Separate oil systems for injection pumps were quite common at one
time. The oil actually lubricated the cam shaft that operated the
separate injection pumps. For some reason other manufacturers simply
flooded the pump casing with diesel and it seemed to work about as
well

The pump guys I've talked to reckon that most of the parts they change
in pumps or injectors wear because somebody didn't change the fuel
filters often enough.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)